Visit aBraxIa - GLBTQ Positive Comic Anthology by Dragonhead Studio!

Neil Gaiman says:

Neil Gaiman says:
pic by Allan Amato

Friday, January 05, 2007

What's the buzz, tell me what's happening

Afternoon dudes and dudettes; if the typing is a bit off, it's because Arlo has decided to lie in between me and the keyboard... a call for attention? Or... naw, he's just sleeping and using my left arm as a pillow. What a guy!

Another couple of recipes to post and then I'll get back to whining and kvetching about my life! I have to say that the holidays were very challenging food-wise. I tried my best to make good choices, and to really think before I ate.. but one can only do so much. I am only human after all.. in case you were questioning *wink*.

I've just finished reading Neil Gaiman's Sandman collections 5-7 and enjoyed them very much.. it inspires me to get the pencils out and get drawing again. Hurray! For that reason, my handle Apathienmadchen (Apathy Girl) has been changed to Eifriger (Eager) instead. I thought it might be a bit more uplifting and positive ;-) I also have just finished reading Charles de Lint's "Widdershins" which I enjoyed a whole bunch. All of these morsels were courtesy of the libleberrie at Hazeldean. I owe them $1.50 in fines.... sigh! But it's still cheaper than buying all these wonderful books myself. I still haunt garage sales, book sales and the Thrift store for books with success.. so there's no worry of my collection grinding to a halt. I just couldn't wait long enough for de Lint's latest offering to come out in paperback, let alone find it used. So... there ya go.

Ok, now on with the recipes!

This one is a muffin recipe that will help get you through the difficulties of dessert. I make these ahead, freeze them and bring them with me when I know that there's going to be a lot of sweets happening. Kids also really like them!
Chocolate Fibre Muffins

3 cups All Bran (cereal)
2 1/2 cups water
Mix the above together and let stand 5 min.
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 box Betty Crocker Low Fat Brownie Mix

Soak cereal in water for 5 minutes. Add baking soda and brownie mix (dry) to the cereal and stir. Put in ungreased or paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Makes about 24, freezes well.

WW info: 1.5 points per average sized muffin.

+++

Ok, now that your sweet tooths have been satisfied (and nigh guilt-free!) On to breakfast. When I began trying to lose weight and started exercising, my buddy Leah divulged a breakfast secret to me. First of all.. EAT YOUR BREAKFAST! This is very important. You need breakfast to get you to lunch without falling off the wagon and eating high fat doughnuts and muffins all morning.

Breakfast is the only meal you actually burn off during the day without any additional exercise! Just sitting around typing.. lying on the couch, existing; burn calories. Breakfast is like your freebie meal o' the day! (But that doesn't mean you can go hog wild and eat sugar-bombs or deep fried pancakes for breakfast.. well, not and try and lose weight anywayz.)

Leah recommended oatmeal for breakfast & it's pretty much what I've been eating since I started the Core programme.


Leah's Breakfast Oatmeal

1/2 cup large rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
1 eggwhite (Leah uses more, but I can't.)
1/2 cup light soy milk or skim milk

In the morning, stagger to your kitchen and begin assembling your brekky. In a microwave safe bowl, put in 1/2 cup rolled oats and mix with 3/4 cup of water. Microwave on high for 1 min and 23 seconds (the 1,2,3 rule.) While your oatmeal is cooking, separate an eggwhite from its yolk and whisk in a small bowl. Mix with the heated oatmeal and pop back in the nuker for another 1 min and 23 seconds.

While you're waiting, go to your basement where the freezer is, hop over the rabbit barrier that keeps him from pooping in the weight room and retrieve 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or what have you.) Go back upstairs.

Mix blueberries with oatmeal/eggy mixture and throw into the microwave for another 1 min and 23 seconds. Pour your cold coffee from yesterday into a mug and wait patiently for your food. Exchange oatmeal for coffee and nuke that sucker. Pour 1/2 cup light soy milk over your lava-esque porridge. Mix it around so it'll cool enough to eat it. I sprinkle a bit of nutrasweet on top, but you can sprinkle what you like sweetener-wise.

Collect coffee from nuker and settle at the table to eat. You will never have enough time to make this and get to work on time, so resign yourself to being late, but feeling satisfied!

+++

Ok, enough with the recipes. I promise to post some art on Kunstpike soon and crawl back onto the good health wagon ASAP. Cheers!

Suzanne.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't actually tried the recipesd, but had to acknowledge the Jesus Christ Superstar reference in some way... :)

Suzanne Marsden said...

Thanks man, not a lot of people pick up on my odd Musical references :-) The recipes are nummy too! Maybe I should include one with a "Hair" reference.. like refried beans, or can't eat enough nachos.. :-D Or.. the most satisfying thing you could ever buy in a parking lot on tour with the Grateful Dead : grilled cheese on the hibachi. YUM!