Visit aBraxIa - GLBTQ Positive Comic Anthology by Dragonhead Studio!

Neil Gaiman says:

Neil Gaiman says:
pic by Allan Amato

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Ants in Pants

Hello All,

I've found for some reason that I'm in an emotional/ mental slump; exacerbated by the internet. I'm not sure why this is, but getting online makes my mood worse. So, taking a page from the fantastic Neil Gaiman quote: "Make Good Art" when things go to sh*t, I decided to give it a go. Thankfully, I'm not experiencing a creative slump at the same time as my emotional/ mental one. When they all go together, I usually end up curled in bed with junk food and a stack of paperbacks.

But... comic first, then 'spoilers' n__n
You can either enjoy the comic here, or on my Deviant page (which has bigger images).






"Ants in Pants" came directly from an ant infestation last weekend. The title is taken from a hilarious episode of The Tick (thanks Ben Edlund!). The Ghandi quote I dug up online, when I was trying to look up quotes on 'compassion'. It seemed to suit. I'm not really trying to be preachy (as an omnivore, I guess that would be hypocritical). I guess, I'm just trying to get people to think a little before they grab the "R@!D" or "Kill-X" or what-have-you to eradicate whatever pests are bugging them.

Most bugs can be encouraged to go outside (my Mom spent years as a teacher, calmly showing kids in portables that they could safely 'trap' wasps under a cup, using a piece of cardboard, to gently slide underneath.) She also was instrumental in teaching me tolerance for spiders. She has a great story of returning a large spider back to a rural area where it had originally been captured, and had to take it on the train. Ask her about it sometime n__n.

Cheers,
Suzanne.

PS--If you're curious about the role-reversal of ants/ humans or humans as pests; check out the amazing book by William Tenn "Of Men and Monsters".

All artwork (c) 2012 Suzanne A. Marsden

No comments: